Friday, August 2, 2013

The Best Tuna Salad Ever

I'm not sure where this recipe originally came from.  My mom always made it growing up.  I asked where she got it and she thinks it was her dad.  I wouldn't be surprised, both Grampa and Gramma were amazing cooks.  Most of our favorite foods came from their recipes.

This is the BEST tuna salad ever, hands down (it's all in the sauce).  Even those that don't like tuna salad have agreed, this one is good enough to eat! :)

1 box shell noodles - small is better than medium or large, but it really doesn't matter.
1/3 a block of Velveeta, diced into cubes
3 pieces of celery - diced
2 5-oz cans of tuna, drained
1 cup Miracle Whip (any mayo will do but I think the sweetness of MW really makes a difference)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil noodles, rinse with cool water, drain.
I never measure the 3 ingredients for the sauce, I always eyeball it.  I start with less and if I find I need to mix up some more and stir it in, I do so.  It is more about proportions - mostly mayo, a fair amount of white sugar, a bit of lemon juice.
Stir well and mix in with the other ingredients.  My kids pick out the celery but love when I add peas, so mix it up if you like.  I enjoy the crunch of the celery so that's my top pick.

Since I am dairy free I set aside a serving before stirring in the Velveeta cheese cubes for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment