Monday, August 26, 2013

Simple Preschool Letter Recognition & Sight Word Practice


Please excuse the mess in the background - we are painting Hungry Caterpillars out of egg cartons today.  My 4 year old LOVES letters (and numbers are okay too) and stickers too.  I figure this is a good way to keep him occupied during our homeschool day (for about 20 minutes, but hey, every 20 minutes adds up) and practice his motor skills and letter recognition.

60 second prep: Write all the uppercase letters on a blank paper in various places and numbers 1 -10. (I also did another paper with lowercase and number words because it was very important to my son that I do, LOL.)  

Write lowercase letters on the circle stickers (I picked up those Avery colored dots - the ones they use a lot in garage sales) and number words one through ten.  

Dean loved putting the lower letter on the capital and vice versa.  He needs help with number words, but this is helping.  When all done, he peeled off the stickers and put them on a new paper in alphabetical order.  I'm not sure if it's an ASD thing, but he was very concerned they were not in ABC order.  Silly kid!








One of Dean's favorite books is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so I searched the Teacher Pay Teachers site and found some free printables.  I love this one of the coconut tree with all the alphabet on it in capital letters.  

While waiting for his sisters to finish their therapies we worked on his letter skills AND had some fine motor practice.  Lowercase letters written on the colored dot stickers worked nicely to place over the uppercase counterparts and then color the trees.

Dean really enjoyed using alphabet stickers (found booklet for a dollar at Michael's) to match letters as well. He made up patterns, such as Capital, Capital, lower, lower, Capital... Kept him occupied the entire 2 hours!




 The sweet part is he would save letters for us - Baby Bruce got to put all the "B"s on, J was reserved for Julia, T for Taylor, and M for me, because I am "Mom" to him, not Nicole. :)




 Now that Dean knows his alphabet we use the ABC stickers to work on sight words.  After I write the word in marker then it is his turn to do the same and then spell it with the stickers.






No comments:

Post a Comment