Sunday, September 8, 2013

Homemade 'Bagel Bites' - Personal Pizzas

I love simple weeknight dinners that are totally mom-free.  I did end up spreading the sauce on the bagel halves to avoid overdoing it (I suspect the kids would have used way more sauce per pizza and made a mess too), but that's pretty minimal involvement.  No effort for me and enough leftover for a weekend lunch!

My daughters are always getting creative.  It couldn't JUST be pizza that tastes yummy, it had to have a smiley face too!

Plain bagels (my kids are picky, no garlic or onion bagels for them!)
Jar pizza sauce
Shredded motzarella cheese
Desired toppings  -- my kids used mini pepperonis, sliced black olives, and crumbled bacon bits.

Slice bagels in half, spread on some pizza sauce, top with cheese and any desired toppings.  Bake 350 for 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is melted.

One bagel (2 pizzas) was plenty for the younger kids, 3 for my older girls.  Julia also made one with taco meat (beef - and we make it with salsa, so that was in there as well), black olives, and shredded cheddar cheese.

I can think of so many options, just like any other pizza, but next time I'm gonna step up the veggies.  It is easier to convince the kids to eat veggies when they make the food themselves.

These are ridiculously easy - kids can make them themselves, and it was more fun and cheaper than those frozen 'bagel bites' they love so much.  What other toppings would you suggest?

No comments:

Post a Comment