Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Apples, Peaches, and Pears, Oh My!!

 6-Fruit Medley.

They say one rotten apple spoils the bunch, right?  Well, I had a huge box of perfect peaches, pears, and nectarines but a couple of them were getting mushy and bruised.  I needed to eat these, pronto! We did, of course, spend a couple days simply eating them but I had big plans for these bad boys!

I also had planned to make applesauce so I had 3 kinds of apples on hand - yellow, red, and green.  I think it was granny smith, baja, and golden delicious.  

I peeled all the fruit I had and made several pans of this - a couple for my family and a few to complete meals I had made for others.  You can make one pan with about 1 of each of the 6 fruits (3 apples, peach, pear, nectarine) or if you don't have all the fruit on hand simply use what you do have.

Wash, peel, chop - removing seeds, pits, any bruised spots, etc.  It should look pretty.  I melted a cup of coconut oil in the microwave, stirred in a large pinch of cinnamon and drizzled over the fruit.  Bake 350 for 25-30 minutes (apples take the longest to cook, so I sliced them thinnest and peaches in larger chunks, as they don't need as much cook time). Stir and serve.

Trust me, this is AMAZING! The kids loved it - even the picky, hard to please 4 year old.  Dairy-free, added-sugar free, gluten free, soy free, freezes well, easy to make.  Delicious too!



I also made up some more of these squeeze pouches (see my Adventures in Homemade Baby Food post) that the kids love so much.  They are great for on-the-go snacks and lunches - just pull out of the freezer the night before.

I used the same recipe but there were lots of pieces of fruit that weren't perfect or pretty - these are great to make into sauce.  I baked up all the fruits, with the coconut oil and cinnamon, and thew in the blender in batches.  The peach-triple apple-pear-nectarine combo was a huge hit as a sauce!! The kids devoured a whole bowl today (I left some not in pouches to enjoy fresh this week) - there was none left for the rest of the week!!

I love a simple, healthy, cheap success!

No comments:

Post a Comment