Saturday, January 18, 2014

Homemade Spaghetti O's (Alphabetties)



So my preschooler has autism and has a very short list of things he will eat (texture sensitivities).  I'm guessing even "typical" kids are picky though, right? I could spend a small fortune on canned Spaghetti O's, which are, although convenient and acceptable to my son, processed, in a can, with ingredients I can't pronounce. 

So I tasked myself with making a homemade version that was cheaper, healthier, still simple, quick, and something the kids will actually eat. I often make baby food for DIY squeeze pouches, and if there are leftovers I freeze them in ice cube trays, toss frozen into ziploc bags, and label.  I love to hide veggies in foods or use the fruit cubes for smoothies.  So this recipe has cooked, pureed butternut squash in it, but that is totally optional.  I've made it without but since I did have some on hand, it was great to sneak in some extra nutrition.


-16 oz pasta (large box) - you can use rings, just like Spaghetti O's, but my little guy is OBSESSED with the alphabet (autism thing?) so I used 2 10 oz bags of alphabet pasta - then called it "Alphabetties" 
-26 oz Family Size can of Campbell's condensed tomato soup (I have yet to find a store brand that tastes right in this meal)
-1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
-Half can of water
-Dash of garlic salt
-3 oz cooked, pureed butternut squash (optional)

Boil pasta, strain, set aside.  In saucepan heat up tomato soup and worcestershire sauce.  Rinse can a bit with water, use that tomatoey water to add to soup - a whole can makes the sauce too thin. Stir in brown sugar and garlic.  I like to add pureed veggies (not too much that you can taste it or sauce is too thick) such as squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, or even spinach.  I freeze in a baby - food ice cube tray set that is one ounce per cube and tend to use 2 -3 of them.  Stir in cooked pasta.

I store these in single serve tupperware containers (I like the BPA-free glass kind I can microwave for 90 seconds) so I have lunches for the whole week and I don't need to dirty additional bowls.



No comments:

Post a Comment