Thursday, December 19, 2013

Cream Cheese Chicken Empanadas


These Empanadas are so delish! Since they require a bit more effort than my usual dinner (toss-in-crockpot-and-forget) I thought they'd be fun to make for a Christmas potluck I was attending. 

For a typical serving size - if I was only feeding my family:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 box of 2 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
8 oz cream cheese - softened
taco seasoning  (no clue how much - we get ours at Costco in a big tin and I use a TON)
1 tsp lime juice
Ground red pepper or chili seasoning to sprinkle on top for flair


I cannot say it enough: I love my crockpot. I am lazy. Or Busy. Or whatever it's called - all I know is if I can toss it in the crock to save time, I will.  So - cook chicken on low in slow-cooker.  Once cooked (for me it's about 4 hrs), shred. I make a double batch and use the other half of the chicken for chicken enchiladas.

Add cream cheese, lime juice, and taco seasoning, stir together.

Unroll the pie crust.  Roll that a bit thinner and use a glass or bowl to cut circles. (The Ikea kids bowls are perfect.)  Add a spoonful of the chicken mixture.





Fold pie over and press at edges.  Use a fork to score the edges and sprinkle with seasoning.  Bake as instructed on box (in case you used another brand pie crust).  I always reroll the leftover crust dough and make more - the photos are from those, as I was in such a rush to get to my meeting.  They are actually much prettier than the ones in the photos.



I serve with guacamole and sour cream, no extra salsa is needed, and they are also delicious without anything extra! Enjoy! My favorite topping is actually a diced avocado mixture:

-2 ripe avocados, diced
-juice of one lime (roll the lime before slicing to break open the segments for the most juice)
-cilantro (I use dried seasoning from Costco so that I always have Cilantro on hand)
-sea salt

Stir together in a bowl and top your empanadas (or tacos or sandwiches, etc) with this!


No comments:

Post a Comment